The Buy Diary is where I record what I'm buying, as part of my Style Resolutions in 2018.
Week beginning 12 February 2018
- A beautiful linen dress from Gorman that I can't find online. Why? I am in Australia on holiday and had budgeted for a Gorman purchase (or two). Suspect this is only round one.
- Silver statement earrings from Gorman (which I also can't find online. Come on Gorman). Why? Per above, also have had statement silver earrings on my wishlist since last year. Gold seems so easy to find, but silver is weirdly unavailable
I didn't buy:
- The Gilded Dress from Wilson Trollope. Why? It's not actually available yet, so I am going to gamble that I can try it on to check my size before it sells out. Also buys me a bit more time to refill the Frivolous Things account which has taken a beating.
- This grey slip dress from Witchery. Why? I borrowed this for an upcoming blog post, and loved wearing it. However, there are so many dresses on my wish list right now (Kowtow and Wilson Trollope spring to mind) that I have to whittle the list.
Week beginning 5 February 2018
- A white shirt from Saba that has a great boatneck situation. Why? I will buy all the white shirts ever made, or I will die trying. More seriously, this is a great neckline for me and was something I'd been watching to see how far into sale it would go.
- A vintage jumper, skirt and waistcoat set. Why? I was procrastinating on Waitangi Day. 100% an impulse vintage purchase that I blame on Instagram.
- A ring shaped like a snake that fits on my thumb. Why? Do I want thumb rings to be a thing again? Not sure. Let's find out.
I didn't buy:
- This dress from Kowtow. Why? Having just bought my leather jacket, and with a trip to Sydney next week, I'm slowing my roll in case of good finds in Oz. But I do love this print, and Kowtow in general, so I will reserve the right to revisit this print in another item in due course.
- This shirt from Karen Walker again. Why? Ohhh I love this and I've visited it on the site several times, but I still just can't with the huge price tag.
- This shirt from Sportsmax x Liberty. Why? Too summery for this late in the season. Also not sure I would wear it so much as I would just appreciate the print.
Week beginning 29 January 2018
- Finally. The red leather jacket I've dreamed of for about a year. Why? I wear my black and pink leather jackets like it's my job. I've wanted a red one for a long time, and have had zero luck finding one (despite much Googling). When I finally found this one, I snapped it up. Keep your eyes peeled for a future post!
- A pair of white Saltwater Sandals. Why? I don't own jandals (and nor will I) but I have been frolicking at/near the beach way more this summer. These were kind of a summer necessity.
- A burgundy Veronika Maine dress with fun lace up front detail. Why? It was brand new with tags and a steal at $29. This kind of dress is perfect for both summer afternoons and days in the office, and for some reason I'm on a big burgundy kick at the mo. Also looking forward to wearing it with a blazer and boots.
- A white bead necklace from Frutti (I'm not sure how to describe this). Why? I saw this a few weeks back and couldn't stop thinking about it. Tried it on with my shirt today and was SOLD.
I didn't buy:
- This top from Karen Walker. Why? Hot dang I love this, but it's nowhere near feasible to spend that much money on a shirt (even a monkey shirt) in the same month as my new leather jacket. I prioritised. This won't make it into my budget any time soon.
- These slides from The Iconic. Why? I wanted beach shoes immediately so (a) these weren't the right fabrication and (b) I didn't want to wait on delivery. I also am suspicious of their cheapness.
Week beginning 22 January 2018
- A black tshirt from AS Colour. Why? Because I thought I'd put my black tshirt in the dryer and destroyed it. Turned out it was my navy one (i.e. not faded, just dark blue instead of black, by design). Great job me! Currently tossing up whether to return this for another colour or whether to hold onto it against the certainty that is my current black tshirt getting worn out.
- A wool military style coat, which I've inexpertly but confidently dated as being from the 1940s. Why? I will buy a mint condition, vintage, 100% wool coat at any time of the year if it costs $29. Currently at the drycleaner.
- A pair of burgundy court shoes with a buckle thingy on top. Why? I have a very similar pair in black, which I wear constantly. These were also secondhand, and cost $8.99.
- A silk Helen Cherry skirt from Recycle Boutique. Why? I bought it for my upcoming project but love it and want to wear it now, so I'm outing it.
- A Moschino belt that is definitely 0% authentic but will be 100% good fun in outfits. Why? An impulse buy for $20 when I was buying the silk skirt. These belts are weirdly attractive to me, I think because they are so tacky. I am intrigued to see what I do with this.
- I also bought some other secondhand items for the upcoming blog project. They continue to be a secret :)
I didn't buy:
- An amazing black and white check blazer with gold buttons. Why? I had to admit it was too big. I was gutted.
- A pair of ecru-coloured linen blend pants. Why? I know these sound awful, but on the website they looked like they might be the white wide legged pants of my dreams. They are not, so they will be returned for a full refund.
- A gorgeous hot pink and orange Keith Mathieson blouse (thrifted). Why? I could feel the fabric in the forearms pulling, and I've destroyed enough seams in my time to know this this was a no-go for my (apparently quick thick) arms.
Week beginning 15 January 2018
- A navy tshirt from AS Colour. Why? I thrash my black, white and red ones and it finally dawned on me that navy would be immensely useful. I love and highly rate these tshirts.
- The skirt from Seed that I didn't buy last week. Why? I love it. I have no other sensible reason than: it's a black and white, polka dot, tiered skirt and I needed it. Also, it will take the sting off Tuesday morning when we go back to work after a long weekend.
- A thrifted pair of Beau Coops Quattro loafers. Why? You can't go wrong with a brand new pair of black loafers in a great design for $19.99!
- Two pairs of 120 denier tights. Why? Because if you aren't buying your tights on sale in summer, you are spending approximately $15 extra per pair of tights.
- I also bought some other secondhand items for an upcoming blog project. They are a secret :)
I didn't buy:
- A retro long-line waistcoast with built in/detachable modesty square. Why? It was rad, but I already own a double-breasted navy long-line waistcoat and there's only space for one.
- A herringbone check jacket with contrast velvet collar. Why? So close to the jacket of my winter 2018 dreams, but a little too big.
- A vintage pale purple Pierre Cardin shirt that tied with a pussy bow. Why? Initially looked all good, but close inspection identified some stains that were a little too risky.
- A beautiful knit pleated skirt from Sabatini. Why? Well, one fancy skirt in a week is enough, firstly, but also it was very long and looked tricky to alter. Damn my short legs!
Week beginning 8 January 2018
- New glasses! Why? I am supposed to wear my glasses all the time, but they are old and awful and I am superficial. I am excited for my fun new frames (and updated prescription)...just have to wait two weeks for them to be made.
- A pair of wide legged, paperbag waist, cropped, red and white striped pants from Seed. Why? Pants that fit me are a thing I would like to own more of. These are a good option for both work and weekends.
I didn't buy:
- This skirt from Seed. Why? Oh, how I love this skirt, and I can definitely imagine some outfits featuring it across both the summer and winter months. However, it's really statement, so I'd like to think about it for a week (when, conveniently, the frivolous things account will also be a bit more flush).
Week beginning 1 January 2018
- A tshirt from Farmers, using a gift exchange card. Why? I wear tshirts a lot, all year 'round, so it was a good staple to "buy".
- A camel blazer from David Jones in the New Years sale. Why? I had to let my last one go after I wore it into the ground. This was an item on my 2017 wishlist that had been transferred straight to my 2018 wishlist. A 40% discount was just the cherry on top.
- A pair of white denim shorts from Thrift. Why? My obsession with finding a cool pair of white pants is very real. These are a cool retro style that I'm excited to mess about with (plus, $23 isn't bad!).
I didn't buy:
- A pair of white wide-legged, cropped pants from Seed. Why? They were see-through!