The Buy Diary is where I record what I'm buying, as part of my Style Resolutions in 2018.
Week beginning 19 March 2018
- A vintage, green, vinyl coat. Why? Of course I did. I have no reason. It's amazing?
- A vintage, lime green and gold jumpsuit with wide legs. Why? I'm going to a black tie event in May (on my birthday!) where I'm a finalist for an award. It's a finance industry awards night. LET'S SHAKE THINGS UP PEOPLE.
- A vintage, hot pink dress with sheer, voluminous sleeves and gratuitous ruffles. Why? I was on a roll?
- Fuchsia angora/wool blend jumper from Farmers. Why? Many thanks for those vouchers Farmers points club thing, can't wait to wear this with the crazy pants from last week.
- Black loafers with a heel. Why? Another pair of replacement winter shoes for a pair I trashed last year. What was I doing in the winter of 2017, I hear you ask. Being very tired, is my answer. On the upside I got these for $200 off RRP so #winning.
Week beginning 12 March 2018
- A pair of Trelise Cooper trousers from a second hand shop in Taupo. Why? They're beigy/gold with fluoro pink relief on the fabric. I had to look them up online in the fitting room to understand how to style them but they're very thick and fully lined, so I'm excited to wear them in the cold weather.
- A Stine Goya tshirt from Wanda Harland with peach print. Why? Having bought my bee tshirt last year, I am Loyal For Life to Stine Goya tshirts now.
- A crazy striped shirt, also from Wanda Harland. Why? Sometimes you find out you're a finalist for a fancy award and then you see a metallic striped shirt with a massive frill down the front and it speaks to you.
- A necklace from Reliquia. Why? As I said on Instagram Stories, pretty sure this one is entirely down to PMS. I'm only human.
Week beginning 5 March 2018
- The slip dress from Witchery. Why? I caved, having loved it and received some lovely compliments on it. They were having 20% off, plus I had rewards, so at least it was a bargain!
- A rainbow striped jumper. Why? This time every year I get excited by knitwear. Apart from possibly a navy chunky knit, this was all I wanted this year. (Edited: ahahahahaha the optimism re buying knitwear is hilarious)
- A small, black, cross-body satchel style bag in mock croc. Why? My favourite bag last year is a similar style but was pre-loved/vintage when I found it. It's getting thrashed, so I'm trying to find a good alternative. Sob.
- The Dancer print top from Kowtow. Why? I love the print, but couldn't justify another Kowtow dress. I'll get more wear from a top that I can wear to work, on weekends, etc etc. I'm excited to wear this through winter with my grey rollneck jersey underneath.
Week beginning 26 February 2018
- A pair of black ankle boots to replace the ones I wrecked last year. Why? I knelt on the ground in them and you just shouldn't do that in extra pointy boots. I was extremely annoyed at myself. Pointy boots are the best for elongating the leg.
- Hilarious 80s Dynasty-style blazer. Why? Can't stop, won't stop when it comes to vintage blazers. This one is cream coloured tweed with black and gold details aka AMAZING.
- A pair of floral shoes from Savemart. Why? This was thanks to Aimee, who found this while choosing my clothes for me.
- Some groovy tortoiseshell earrings from OLIVIA (got mine at Cre8tive Workz). Why? Had an eye on winter here. I think these will be a good winter neutral. Plus they are really light.
Week beginning 19 February 2018
- A silk top from Gorman (I knew last week was only round one)
- A chunky merino jumper with a cockatoo on it!
- A brooch shaped like the branch of a tree, for wearing on winter coats
- This blazer
- A pair of emergency pants when I was in the Blue Mountains and the weather was unexpectedly freezing cold (thankfully on deep deep sale)
- Two merino tops from Uniqlo
- A marigold yellow dress from Uniqlo
Week beginning 12 February 2018
- A beautiful linen dress from Gorman that I can't find online. Why? I am in Australia on holiday and had budgeted for a Gorman purchase (or two). Suspect this is only round one.
- Silver statement earrings from Gorman (which I also can't find online. Come on Gorman). Why? Per above, also have had statement silver earrings on my wishlist since last year. Gold seems so easy to find, but silver is weirdly unavailable
Week beginning 5 February 2018
- A white shirt from Saba that has a great boatneck situation. Why? I will buy all the white shirts ever made, or I will die trying. More seriously, this is a great neckline for me and was something I'd been watching to see how far into sale it would go.
- A vintage jumper, skirt and waistcoat set. Why? I was procrastinating on Waitangi Day and it was ridiculously cheap. 100% an impulse vintage purchase that I blame on Instagram.
- A ring shaped like a snake that fits on my thumb. Why? Do I want thumb rings to be a thing again? Not sure. Let's find out.
Week beginning 29 January 2018
- Finally. The red leather jacket I've dreamed of for about a year. Why? I wear my black and pink leather jackets like it's my job. I've wanted a red one for a long time, and have had zero luck finding one (despite much Googling). When I finally found this one, I snapped it up. Keep your eyes peeled for a future post!
- A pair of white Saltwater Sandals. Why? I don't own jandals (and nor will I) but I have been frolicking at/near the beach way more this summer. These were kind of a summer necessity.
- A burgundy Veronika Maine dress with fun lace up front detail. Why? It was brand new with tags and a steal at $29. This kind of dress is perfect for both summer afternoons and days in the office, and for some reason I'm on a big burgundy kick at the mo. Also looking forward to wearing it with a blazer and boots.
- A white bead necklace from Frutti (I'm not sure how to describe this). Why? I saw this a few weeks back and couldn't stop thinking about it. Tried it on with my shirt today and was SOLD.
Week beginning 22 January 2018
- A black tshirt from AS Colour. Why? Because I thought I'd put my black tshirt in the dryer and destroyed it. Turned out it was my navy one (i.e. not faded, just dark blue instead of black, by design). Great job me! Currently tossing up whether to return this for another colour or whether to hold onto it against the certainty that is my current black tshirt getting worn out.
- A wool military style coat, which I've inexpertly but confidently dated as being from the 1940s. Why? I will buy a mint condition, vintage, 100% wool coat at any time of the year if it costs $29. Currently at the drycleaner.
- A pair of burgundy court shoes with a buckle thingy on top. Why? I have a very similar pair in black, which I wear constantly. These were also secondhand, and cost $8.99.
- A silk Helen Cherry skirt from Recycle Boutique. Why? I bought it for my upcoming project but love it and want to wear it now, so I'm outing it.
- A Moschino belt that is definitely 0% authentic but will be 100% good fun in outfits. Why? An impulse buy for $20 when I was buying the silk skirt. These belts are weirdly attractive to me, I think because they are so tacky. I am intrigued to see what I do with this.
- I also bought some other secondhand items for the upcoming blog project. They continue to be a secret :)
Week beginning 15 January 2018
- A navy tshirt from AS Colour. Why? I thrash my black, white and red ones and it finally dawned on me that navy would be immensely useful. I love and highly rate these tshirts.
- The skirt from Seed that I didn't buy last week. Why? I love it. I have no other sensible reason than: it's a black and white, polka dot, tiered skirt and I needed it. Also, it will take the sting off Tuesday morning when we go back to work after a long weekend.
- A thrifted pair of Beau Coops Quattro loafers. Why? You can't go wrong with a brand new pair of black loafers in a great design for $19.99!
- Two pairs of 120 denier tights. Why? Because if you aren't buying your tights on sale in summer, you are spending approximately $15 extra per pair of tights.
- I also bought some other secondhand items for an upcoming blog project. They are a secret :)
Week beginning 8 January 2018
- New glasses! Why? I am supposed to wear my glasses all the time, but they are old and awful and I am superficial. I am excited for my fun new frames (and updated prescription)...just have to wait two weeks for them to be made.
- A pair of wide legged, paperbag waist, cropped, red and white striped pants from Seed. Why? Pants that fit me are a thing I would like to own more of. These are a good option for both work and weekends.
Week beginning 1 January 2018
- A tshirt from Farmers, using a gift exchange card. Why? I wear tshirts a lot, all year 'round, so it was a good staple to "buy".
- A camel blazer from David Jones in the New Years sale. Why? I had to let my last one go after I wore it into the ground. This was an item on my 2017 wishlist that had been transferred straight to my 2018 wishlist. A 40% discount was just the cherry on top.
- A pair of white denim shorts from Thrift. Why? My obsession with finding a cool pair of white pants is very real. These are a cool retro style that I'm excited to mess about with (plus, $23 isn't bad!).